All account passwords are case-sensitive. Please be sure to use upper- and lower-case characters as necessary when entering your password.
Password Complexity Requirements
As of January, 2014, the following are the current requirements for CIS account passwords.
All passwords MUST
- Not contain the user's account name or parts of the user's full name that exceed two consecutive characters
- Be at least seven characters in length
- Contain characters from three of the following four categories:
- English uppercase characters (A through Z)
- English lowercase characters (a through z)
- Base 10 digits (0 through 9)
- Non-alphabetic characters (for example, !, $, #, %)
- Not be one of your last 24 passwords
These requirements are enforced when passwords are changed or created.
Changing Your Password
There are currently three different ways to get your password changed.
You can reset your password online from the password reset page. All you need is your eid user name and password for authentication. This will set your CIS password to your current eid password.
From a CIS Lab Computer
If you are on a CIS Lab computer, server, or other workstation, you may change your password directly from that machine.
- On Windows, go to `Start > Windows Security` and then click on the `Change Password...` button and follow the instructions. Pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete will get you to the same menu.
- On Linux, type "`passwd`" in a terminal and follow the instructions.
If your account has been deactivated or you have trouble resetting your password, you will need to come see one of the systems administrators in Engineering Hall 2217 or 2218. Be sure to bring along a photo ID so we can verify your identity.
If you are an off-campus student, please contact us by phone at 785-532-6350. We are available in the office most times between 9:00 AM and 5:00 PM US Central Time.